Border Crossing Info


Border Crossing Info

The City of Blaine sits on the international border to British Columbia, Canada. Blaine has two border crossings, the Peace Arch crossing (Douglas Crossing) and the Pacific Highway crossing also know as the Truck Crossing (SR-543). There is also a border crossing from British Columbia into Point Roberts known as the Boundary Bay Crossing.

Other important travel information:

Amtrak Cascades Passenger Train & Amtrak Cascade Thruway Buses
Amtrak Cascades passenger rail is available with four trips each day over the Skagit River Rail Bridge (and Amtrak Cascades Thruway Buses have add ten more trips through the area). The Skagit River Rail Bridge used by Amtrak Cascades is fully functional. For schedules, reservations and tickets, people can visit or call 1-800-USA-RAIL.

AMTRAK Fairhaven Station
401 Harris Avenue
Bellingham, WA 98225
AMTRAK Skagit Station
105 East Kincaid
Mt. Vernon, WA 98273

WSDOT Ferries are running on schedule out of Anacortes and throughout Puget Sound. The I-5 Skagit River bridge closure has no impact on the operations of ferries. For ferry schedules you can visit

Below are helpful tips on crossing the border between Blaine, WA and British Columbia, Canada. 

(The following information is subject to change).

PLEASE NOTE: New Document Requirement for Land and Sea – Documents required for entry in to the United States are Passports, NEXUS Cards and Enhanced Drivers License. Birth Certificates will no longer be accepted, nor will Drivers’ Licenses that have not been upgraded to the new Enhanced Drivers License.

ENTERING CANADA: What is needed:
Currently, everyone from every country that comes to Canada by air, land and sea needs a passport or equivalent travel document. Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card (see “Entering the United States” below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. If U.S. citizen travelers to Canada do not have a passport, passport card or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under sixteen need only present proof of U.S. citizenship. (Please see below for important information concerning re-entry into the United States).

US aliens are required to bring an Alien Registration Receipt Card as proof of residence. Naturalized citizens should bring their naturalization paperwork. A rule of thumb is bring as much identification as possible, the last thing you want is to get stuck at a border crossing because you didn’t bring enough ID.

You will be denied entry into Canada if you have any felony convictions, DUI charges, and other major crimes. Minor traffic violations such as speeding, parking, tailgating, etc., don’t count. Also, have your car registration ready if asked.

Currently, everyone from every country that comes to Canada by air, land and sea needs a passport or equivalent travel document. When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

PLEASE NOTE: An ID and birth certificate will allow most Americans to travel into Canada, BUT they alone are not good enough to get them back to the United States. Entry in to the United States requires a valid passport. American’s should take all of their ID with them including passport to guarantee re-entry back into the United States. 

Expect car searches as they have become the norm since 9/11.

Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security’s Ready, Set.. Go! for more information on the changing travel requirements.
If you are traveling with children and crossing the border into Canada or the USA, you should:
1. Carry identification for each child.
2. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents.
3. Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children.

For more information, visit the web page for Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

U.S. Consulates General are located at:
Vancouver, British Columbia, at 1095 West Pender Street, telephone (604) 685-4311; fax (604) 685-7175. The consular district includes British Columbia and the Yukon Territory.

All physical importation and exportation of currency and monetary instruments equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 or US$10,000 must be reported to Customs.

Dogs and cats from the U.S. that are at least three months old need signed and dated certificates from a veterinarian verifying that they have been vaccinated against rabies within the last three years. The certificate must clearly identify the animal. If your dogs or cats are less than three months old, you do not need a certificate of rabies vaccination to enter Canada. However, the animals must be in good health when they arrive. Most pet foods are not allowed to cross the border.

The NEXUS – Highway program is a joint Canada-United States initiative that allows low-risk, frequent travelers to cross the border through dedicated lanes. NEXUS is currently offered at:

  • Douglas, British Columbia/Peace Arch, Washington
  • Pacific Highway, British Columbia/Blaine, Washington
  • Boundary Bay, British Columbia/Point Roberts, Washington

You can obtain more information on applying for NEXUS by visiting

The following are hours that NEXUS lanes are open for:

Location Canada
Hours of Service
Hours of Service

Pacific Highway
Truck Crossing

Seven days a week
7 a.m. to Midnight
Seven days a week
6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Peace Arch
Seven days a week
7 a.m. to Midnight
Seven days a week
6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Boundary Bay
Point Roberts
Seven days a week
7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Seven days a week
7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Food & Plant Items into Canada – There are many restrictions on what food & plant items you can bring into Canada.
Allowed – Condiments; Dry goods; Coffee/tea; Canned, frozen & dried fruits & vegetables; Most seafood; Fresh meat depending on origin (22lb limit/person); Dairy products depending on origin ($20 limit/person). Prohibited – Most pet food; Most poultry & fresh eggs; Most plants; Many fresh fruits & vegetables. *Call for specific information, or don’t bring what you’re not willing to give up at the border.

Food & Plant Items into US:
Prohibited – Most pet food (US made in original package OK), citrus fruit, tropical fruit, out of season produce, garlic, potatoes from Van. Island, corn-on-cob not from BC; All beef, lamb, goat, bison, uncooked poultry, raw eggs; produce & meats from countries other than US & Canada; Hawaiian origin plants & produce; Canadian plants & seeds without Phytosanitary certificates.
Allowed – Most commercially grown fruits & vegetables from the US and Canada with proof of origin; Pork and seafood; Canadian & US plants & seeds with Phytosanitary certificate; Most Canadian cut flowers (will require inspection).

Firearms: Handguns are not allowed entry into Canada. Firearms with no legitimate sporting or recreational use, mace, capstan, stun guns and switchblades are not permitted. Sporting rifles or shotguns are usually permitted for sport or hunting. As of January 1, 2001, one must complete a “Firearms Declaration Form,” and there is a $50 fee.

For more information or forms call 1-800-731-4000.


Interesting British Columbia Links:
Tourism Whistler
Tourism Vancouver Official Web Site
Whistler Chamber of Commerce
West Vancouver Visitor Information
Vancouver Vital Information: Crossing The Border
Vancouver BC Restaurants
Fraser Valley BC Restaurants
White Rock BC Restaurants

Interesting Whatcom County/Blaine Links:
City of Blaine
Bellingham/Whatcom County Tourism
Peace Arch Park International Sculpture Exhibit
Mt. Baker Ski Area
Blaine & Birch Bay Destination Map – map links to restaurants, lodging, retail and services.
Mount Baker Region Destination Map – map links to restaurants, lodging, retail and services.